- Population dynamics
- Individual-Based modeling
- Point pattern analyses
- E-mail : cyril.piou cirad.fr
Job experience and education
Since August 2017 - Scientist at CIRAD, Bios, The Center for Biology and Management of Populations
August 2015 - August 2017 - CIRAD scientist working in cooperation at the National Anti-locust center of Aït Melloul and the Ibn Zohr University of Agadir
Sept. 2013 - August 2015 - CIRAD scientist working in cooperation at IAV Hassan II, Horticultural complex of Agadir and together with the National Anti-locust center of Aït Melloul
Sept. 2010 - August 2013 - Scientist at CIRAD, Bios, Pests and Diseases unit, Acridology team
July 2008 - August 2010 - Post-Doc with Etienne Prévost at INRA of St Pée sur Nivelle (64). Project: Potential effects of climate change on life history strategies of Atlantic salmon.
April 2007 - June 2008 - Post-Doc with Uta Berger at Dresden University (Germany). Project: Proposing an information criterion for individual-based models.
October 2003 - March 2007 - PhD with Uta Berger and Candy Feller at the Center for Tropical Marine Ecology of Bremen University
(Germany). Project: Patterns and individual-based modeling of spatial
competition within two main components of Neotropical mangrove
September 2001 - Sept. 2003 - Master of Science ISATEC (International Studies in Aquatic Tropical Ecology). Field work at the Institute of Marine Studies of Belize University.
Project: Effects of hurricane disturbances on mangrove forest
structure, studying the case of Belizean offshore islands and KiWi
My work in the acridology team of CIRAD-CBGP is mainly focusing on desert locust in Western Africa. Since 2010, I'm working on two main axes :
- Phenotypic plasticity of Schistocerca gregaria
In this axis, we are trying to understand deeper the processes linked to phase polyphenism of desert locust.
- In 2011-2012 a first project in collaboration with Marie-Pierre Chapuis, Christine Pagès and Benjamin Pélissié, showed us some parental and heritable effects of some growth-related individual parameters.
- Since 2012, I'm collaborating with Koutaro Maeno to test maternal effects on survival and behavior of hatchlings.
- In 2014-2017, the co-supervision of Jamila Dkhili, PhD candidate at the Ibn Zohr University of Agadir, documented the vegetation effect on group behavior of desert locusts hoppers. We were using Individual-Based Models and laboratory experiments.
- Modeling of gregarization risk of Schistocerca gregaria
In this axis, we link environment, population levels and phase of desert locust in order to develop tools that could help in preventive management.
In 2010-2012, a first project in collaboration with Valentine
Lebourgeois, Michel Lecoq and other team members analysed NDVI/MODIS maps and time series coupled with survey data from the national center of locust control of Mauritania (CNLA).
This work proposed a methodology to spatially show the potential gregarization risk of desert locust from satellite images.
- In 2014, a project for the Centre Royal de Télédétection Spatiale of Morocco
allowed to improve the methodology and make it an operational tool for the National Anti-locust center of Morocco.
- In 2012-2014, I worked with Sory Cissé, a PhD student from Mali under a grant from CLCPRO/FAO, who was studying density thresholds of gregarization from historical data and field observations.
- In 2015-2017, we worked with IsardSAT and CESBIO on a project about soil moisture financed by ESA: the SMELLS project.
- Since 2017, I'm co-supervisor of Mathias Kayalto, PhD candidate at the Ibn Zohr University of Agadir, who is working on geomorphological impacts on gregarization risk in Tchad.
- Since 2019, we are working on the ANR-JCJC PEPPER
project that uses agent-based modelling to integrate knowlege about biology and ecology of desert locust in order to improve knowledge and forecasting risks associated to phase polyphenism.
- Kayalto, M., M. Idrissi Hassani, M. Lecoq, P.-E. Gay, and C. Piou. 2020. Cartographie des zones de reproduction et de grégarisation du criquet pèlerin au Tchad. Cahiers Agriculture 29:14. DOI
- Meynard, C. N., M. Lecoq, M.-P. Chapuis, and C. Piou.
2020. On the relative role of climate change and management in the
current Desert Locust outbreak in East Africa. Global Change Biology
- Maeno, K. O., C. Piou, and S. Ghaout. 2020. The desert locust, Schistocerca gregaria,
plastically manipulates egg size by regulating both egg numbers and
production rate according to population density. Journal of Insect
Physiology 122:104020. DOI
- Gay, P.-E., M. Lecoq, and C. Piou. 2020. The limitations of
locust preventive management faced with spatial uncertainty: exploration
with a multi-agent model. Pest Management Science 76:1094-1102. DOI
- Delay, E., and C. Piou. 2019. Mutual aid: When does resource scarcity favour group cooperation? Ecological Complexity 40:100790. DOI
- Dkhili, J., K. O. Maeno, L. M. Idrissi Hassani, S. Ghaout, and C. Piou. 2019. Effects of starvation and Vegetation Distribution on Locust Collective Motion. Journal of Insect Behavior 32:207-217. DOI
- Piou, C., P.-E. Gay, A. S. Benahi, M. A. O. Babah Ebbe, J.
Chihrane, S. Ghaout, S. Cisse, F. Diakite, M. Lazar, K. Cressman, O.
Merlin, and M.-J. Escorihuela. 2019. Soil moisture from remote sensing
to forecast desert locust presence. Journal of Applied Ecology 56:966-975.
- Escorihuela, M.J., Merlin, O., Stefan, V., Moyano, G., Eweys, O.A., Zribi, M.,
Kamara, S., Benahi, A.S., Ebbe, M.A.B., Chihrane, J., Ghaout, S., Cissé, S.,
Diakité, F., Lazar, M., Pellarin, T., Grippa, M., Cressman, K. and C. Piou. 2018. SMOS based high resolution soil moisture estimates for desert locust preventive management. Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment 11:140-150 DOI
- Akimenko, V. V., and C. Piou. 2018. Two‐compartment
age‐structured model of solitarious and gregarious locust population
dynamics. Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences 41:8636-8672. DOI
- Bagny Beilhe, L., C. Piou, Z. Tadu, and R. Babin. 2018.
Identifying Ant-Mirid Spatial Interactions to Improve Biological Control
in Cacao-Based Agroforestry System. Environmental Entomology 47:551-558.
- Gay, P.-E., M. Lecoq, and C. Piou. 2018. Improving preventive locust management: insights from a multi-agent model. Pest Management Science 74:46-58. DOI
- Piou, C.,
M. E. H. Jaavar Bacar, M. A. O. Babah Ebbe, J. Chihrane, S. Ghaout, S.
Cisse, M. Lecoq, and T. Ben Halima. 2017. Mapping the spatiotemporal
distributions of the Desert Locust in Mauritania and Morocco to improve
preventive management. Basic and Applied Ecology 25:37-47. DOI
- Dkhili, J., U. Berger, L. M. Idrissi Hassani, S. Ghaout, R. Peters, and C. Piou. 2017. Self-organized spatial structures of locust groups emerging from local interaction. Ecological Modelling 361:26-40. DOI
- Meynard, C. N., P.-E. Gay, M. Lecoq, A. Foucart, C. Piou, and
M.-P. Chapuis. 2017. Climate-driven geographic distribution of the
desert locust during recession periods: Subspecies’ niche
differentiation and relative risks under scenarios of climate change.
Global Change Biology 23:4739-4749. DOI
- Lazar, M., C. Piou, B. Doumandji-Mitiche, and M. Lecoq. 2016. Importance
of solitarious desert locust population dynamics: lessons from
historical survey data in Algeria. Entomologia Experimentalis et
Applicata 161:168–180. DOI
- Latchininsky, A., C. Piou,
A. Franc, and V. Soti. 2016. Applications of Remote Sensing to Locust
Management. Pages 263-294 in N. Baghdadi and M. Zribi, editors. Land
Surface Remote Sensing: Environment and Risks. ISTE editions.
- Cissé, S., S. Ghaout, M. A. Babah Ebbe, S. Kamara, and C. Piou.
2016. Field Verification of the Prediction Model on Desert Locust Adult
Phase Status From Density and Vegetation. Journal of Insect Science 16. DOI (open access)
- Pélissié, B., C. Piou, H. Jourdan-Pineau, C. Pagès, L. Blondin,
and M.-P. Chapuis. 2016. Extra Molting and Selection on Nymphal Growth
in the Desert Locust. PLoS ONE 11:e0155736. DOI (open access)
- Chapuis, M. P., C. Plantamp, R. Streiff, L. Blondin, and C. Piou.
2015. Microsatellite evolutionary rate and pattern in Schistocerca
gregaria inferred from direct observation of germline mutations.
Molecular Ecology 24:6107-6119. DOI
- Piou, C., M. H. Taylor, J. Papaïx, and E. Prévost. 2015.
Modelling the interactive effects of selective fishing and environmental
change on Atlantic salmon demogenetics. Journal of Applied Ecology
- Cisse, S., S. Ghaout, A. Mazih, H. Jourdan-Pineau, K. O. Maeno, and C. Piou.
2015. Characterizing phase-related differences in behaviour of
Schistocerca gregaria with spatial distribution analysis. Entomologia
Experimentalis et Applicata 156:128-135. DOI
- Cisse, S., S. Ghaout, A. Mazih, M. A. Ould Babah Ebbe, and C. Piou.
2015. Estimation of density threshold of gregarization of desert locust
hoppers from field sampling in Mauritania. Entomologia Experimentalis
et Applicata 156:136-148. DOI
- Delay, E., C. Piou, and H. Quenol. 2015. The mountain environment, a driver for adaptation to climate change. Land Use Policy 48:51-62. DOI
- Vogt, J., C. Piou, and U. Berger. 2014. Comparing the influence of large- and small-scale disturbances on forest heterogeneity: A simulation study for mangroves. Ecological Complexity 20:107-115. DOI
- Maeno, K. O., C. Piou, M. A. Ould Babah, and S. Nakamura. 2013.
Eggs and hatchlings variations in desert locusts: phase related
characteristics and starvation tolerance. Frontiers in Physiology 4. DOI
- Cisse, S., S. Ghaout, A. Mazih, M. A. O. Babah Ebbe, A. S. Benahi, and C. Piou.
2013. Effect of vegetation on density thresholds of adult desert locust
gregarization from survey data in Mauritania. Entomologia
Experimentalis et Applicata 149:159-165. DOI
- Piou, C., V. Lebourgeois, A. S. Benahi, V. Bonnal, M. e. H. Jaavar, M. Lecoq, and J.-M. Vassal.
2013. Coupling historical prospection data and a remotely-sensed vegetation
index for the preventative control of Desert locusts. Basic and Applied
Ecology 14:593-604. DOI
- Feller, I., A. Chamberlain, C. Piou, S. Chapman, and C.
Lovelock. 2013. Latitudinal Patterns of Herbivory in Mangrove Forests:
Consequences of Nutrient Over-Enrichment. Ecosystems 16:1203-1215. DOI
- Maeno, K. O., C. Piou, S. Ould Ely, M. A. O. Babah, B. Pélissié, S. A. Ould Mohamed, M. E. H. Jaavar, M. Etheimine, and S. Nakamura. 2013. Plant Size-dependent Escaping Behavior of Gregarious Nymphs of the Desert Locust, Schistocerca gregaria. Journal of Insect Behavior 26:623-633. DOI
- Piou, C. and E. Prévost. 2013. Contrasting
effects of climate change in continental versus oceanic environments on
population persistence and micro-evolution of Atlantic salmon. Global
change biology 19:711-723. DOI
- Maeno, K. O., C. Piou, S. O. Ely, S. A. O. Mohamed, M. E. H.
Jaavar, M. A. O. Babah, and S. Nakamura. 2012. Field Observations of the
Sheltering Behavior of the Solitarious Phase of the Desert Locust, Schistocerca gregaria, with Particular Reference to Antipredator Strategies. Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly 46:339-345. PDF
- Piou, C.
and E. Prévost. 2012. A demo-genetic individual-based model for
Atlantic salmon populations: Model structure, parameterization and
sensitivity. Ecological Modelling
- Vogt, J., A. Skóra, I. C. Feller, C. Piou, G. Coldren, and
U. Berger. 2012. Investigating the role of impoundment and forest
structure on the resistance and resilience of mangrove forests to
hurricanes. Aquatic Botany 97:24-29.
- Fontalvo-Herazo, M., C. Piou, J. Vogt, U. Saint-Paul, and U.
Berger. 2011. Simulating harvesting scenarios towards the sustainable
use of mangrove forest plantations. Wetlands Ecology and Management 19:397-407. DOI
- Bal, G., E. Rivot, E. Prévost, C. Piou, and J. L.
Baglinière. 2011. Effect of water temperature and density of juvenile
salmonids on growth of young-of-the-year Atlantic salmon Salmo salar.
Journal of Fish Biology 78:1002-1022. DOI
- Tentelier, C. and C. Piou. 2011. Obstacles to migration constrain nest distribution of Atlantic salmon. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 20:400-408. DOI
- Piou, C., U. Berger, and K. Diele. 2010. Simulating Ucides
cordatus Population Recovery on Fished Grounds. Pages 299-303 in U.
Saint-Paul and H. Schneider, editors. Mangrove Dynamics and Management
in North Brazil. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. DOI
- Feller, I., C. Lovelock, and C. Piou. 2009. Growth and
Nutrient Conservation in Rhizophora mangle in Response to Fertilization
along Latitudinal and Tidal Gradients. Smithsonian Contributions to the
Marine Sciences 38:347-358. PDF
- Piou, C., U. Berger, and V. Grimm. 2009. Proposing an
information criterion for individual-based models developed in a
pattern-oriented modelling framework. Ecological Modelling
- Piou, C., U. Berger, and I. Feller. 2009. Spatial structure
of a leaf-removing crab population in a mangrove of North-Brazil.
Wetlands Ecology and Management 17:93-106. DOI
- Piou, C., U. Berger, H. Hildenbrandt, and I. Feller. 2008.
Testing the intermediate disturbance hypothesis in species-poor systems:
A simulation experiment for mangrove forests. Journal of Vegetation
Science 19:417-424. DOI
- Berger, U., V. Rivera-Monroy, T. Doyle, F. Dahdouh-Guebas, N. Duke, M. Fontalvo-Herazo, H. Hildenbrandt, N. Koedam, U. Mehlig, C. Piou
and R. Twilley. 2008. Advances and limitations of individual-based
models to analyze and predict dynamics of mangrove forests: A review.
Aquatic Botany 89:260-274. DOI
- Berger, U., C. Piou, K. Schiffers, and V. Grimm. 2008.
Competition among plants: Concepts, individual-based modelling
approaches, and a proposal for a future research strategy. Perspectives
in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 9:121-135. DOI
- Piou, C., U. Berger, H. Hildenbrandt, V. Grimm, K. Diele,
and C. D'Lima. 2007. Simulating cryptic movements of a mangrove crab:
Recovery phenomena after small scale fishery. Ecological Modelling
- Piou, C., I. Feller, U. Berger, and F. Chi. 2006. Zonation
patterns of Belizean offshore mangrove forests 41 years after a
catastrophic hurricane. Biotropica 38:365-374. DOI
- Grimm, V., U. Berger, F. Bastiansen, S. Eliassen, V. Ginot, J.
Giske, J. Goss-Custard, T. Grand, S. Heinz, G. Huse, A. Huth, J. U.
Jepsen, C. Jorgensen, W. M. Mooij, B. Mueller, G. Pe'er, C. Piou,
S. F. Railsback, A. M. Robbins, M. M. Robbins, E. Rossmanith, N. Rüger,
E. Strand, S. Souissi, R. A. Stillman, R. Vabo, U. Visser, and D. L.
DeAngelis. 2006. A standard protocol for describing individual-based and
agent-based models. Ecological Modelling 198:115-126. DOI
Do not hesitate to email me if you need a pdf of one of these articles and your institution do not provide access to it.
© Cette page est publiée sous la responsabilité exclusive de Cyril Piou
La responsabilité du Cirad ne peut en aucun cas être engagée.
Page affichée 122444 fois. Dernière visite le 2020-10-02 01:17:33
Dernière modification de cette page le 2020-06-19 17:45:18