- Population dynamics
- Individual-Based modeling
- Point pattern analyses
- E-mail : cyril.piou cirad.fr
Job experience and education
Since Sept 2013 - CIRAD scientist working in cooperation at IAV Hassan II, Horticultural complex of Agadir and together with the National Anti-locust center of Aït Melloul
Sept. 2010 - August 2013 - Scientist at CIRAD, Bios, Pests and Diseases unit, Acridology team
July 2008 - August 2010 - Post-Doc with Etienne Prévost at INRA of St Pée sur Nivelle (64). Project: Potential effects of climate change on life history strategies of Atlantic salmon.
April 2007 - June 2008 - Post-Doc with Uta Berger at Dresden University (Germany). Project: Proposing an information criterion for individual-based models.
October 2003 - March 2007 - PhD with Uta Berger and Candy Feller at the Center for Tropical Marine Ecology of Bremen University
(Germany). Project: Patterns and individual-based modeling of spatial
competition within two main components of Neotropical mangrove
September 2001 - Sept. 2003 - Master of Science ISATEC (International Studies in Aquatic Tropical Ecology). Field work at the Institute of Marine Studies of Belize University.
Project: Effects of hurricane disturbances on mangrove forest
structure, studying the case of Belizean offshore islands and KiWi
My work in the acridology team is mainly focusing on desert locust in Western Africa. Since 2010, two main axes of work are emerging with several ongoing or planned projects:
- Phenotypic plasticity of Schistocerca gregaria
In this axis, we are trying to understand deeper the processes linked to phase polyphenism of desert locust.
- In 2011-2012 a first project in collaboration with Marie-Pierre Chapuis, Christine Pagès and Benjamin Pélissié, showed us some parental and heritable effects of some growth-related individual parameters.
- Since 2012, I'm collaborating with Koutaro Maeno to test maternal effects on survival and behavior of hatchlings.
- Modeling of gregarization risk of Schistocerca gregaria
In this axis, we link environment and phase of desert locust in order to develop tools that could help in preventive management.
In 2010-2012, a first project in collaboration with Valentine
Lebourgeois and other team members analysed NDVI/MODIS maps and time series coupled with survey data from the national center of locust control of Mauritania (CNLA).
This work proposed a methodology to spatially show the potential gregarization risk of desert locust from satellite images. This will continue with further works on two directions: i) increasing in complexity the statistical tools used ii) integrating the models in operational devices.
- Since 2012, I'm co-supervising Sory Cissé, a PhD student from Mali under a grant from CLCPRO/FAO, who is working on density thresholds of gregarization from historical data and field observations.
- I hope also to work with Greg Sword and Steve Simpson on gregarization risk assessment depending on vegetation structure with the help of individual-based models.
- Maeno, K. O., C. Piou, M. A. Ould Babah, and S. Nakamura. 2013.
Eggs and hatchlings variations in desert locusts: phase related
characteristics and starvation tolerance. Frontiers in Physiology 4. DOI
- Cisse, S., S. Ghaout, A. Mazih, M. A. O. Babah Ebbe, A. S. Benahi, and C. Piou.
2013. Effect of vegetation on density thresholds of adult desert locust
gregarization from survey data in Mauritania. Entomologia
Experimentalis et Applicata 149:159-165. DOI
- Piou, C., V. Lebourgeois, A. S. Benahi, V. Bonnal, M. e. H. Jaavar, M. Lecoq, and J.-M. Vassal.
2013. Coupling historical prospection data and a remotely-sensed vegetation
index for the preventative control of Desert locusts. Basic and Applied
Ecology 14:593-604. DOI
- Feller, I., A. Chamberlain, C. Piou, S. Chapman, and C.
Lovelock. 2013. Latitudinal Patterns of Herbivory in Mangrove Forests:
Consequences of Nutrient Over-Enrichment. Ecosystems 16:1203-1215. DOI
- Maeno, K. O., C. Piou, S. Ould Ely, M. A. O. Babah, B. Pélissié, S. A. Ould Mohamed, M. E. H. Jaavar, M. Etheimine, and S. Nakamura. 2013. Plant Size-dependent Escaping Behavior of Gregarious Nymphs of the Desert Locust, Schistocerca gregaria. Journal of Insect Behavior 26:623-633. DOI
- Piou, C. and E. Prévost. 2013. Contrasting
effects of climate change in continental versus oceanic environments on
population persistence and micro-evolution of Atlantic salmon. Global
change biology 19:711-723. DOI
- Maeno, K. O., C. Piou, S. O. Ely, S. A. O. Mohamed, M. E. H.
Jaavar, M. A. O. Babah, and S. Nakamura. 2012. Field Observations of the
Sheltering Behavior of the Solitarious Phase of the Desert Locust, Schistocerca gregaria, with Particular Reference to Antipredator Strategies. Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly 46:339-345. PDF
- Piou, C.
and E. Prévost. 2012. A demo-genetic individual-based model for
Atlantic salmon populations: Model structure, parameterization and
sensitivity. Ecological Modelling
- Vogt, J., A. Skóra, I. C. Feller, C. Piou, G. Coldren, and
U. Berger. 2012. Investigating the role of impoundment and forest
structure on the resistance and resilience of mangrove forests to
hurricanes. Aquatic Botany 97:24-29.
- Fontalvo-Herazo, M., C. Piou, J. Vogt, U. Saint-Paul, and U.
Berger. 2011. Simulating harvesting scenarios towards the sustainable
use of mangrove forest plantations. Wetlands Ecology and Management 19:397-407. DOI
- Bal, G., E. Rivot, E. Prévost, C. Piou, and J. L.
Baglinière. 2011. Effect of water temperature and density of juvenile
salmonids on growth of young-of-the-year Atlantic salmon Salmo salar.
Journal of Fish Biology 78:1002-1022. DOI
- Tentelier, C. and C. Piou. 2011. Obstacles to migration constrain nest distribution of Atlantic salmon. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 20:400-408. DOI
- Piou, C., U. Berger, and K. Diele. 2010. Simulating Ucides
cordatus Population Recovery on Fished Grounds. Pages 299-303 in U.
Saint-Paul and H. Schneider, editors. Mangrove Dynamics and Management
in North Brazil. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. DOI
- Feller, I., C. Lovelock, and C. Piou. 2009. Growth and
Nutrient Conservation in Rhizophora mangle in Response to Fertilization
along Latitudinal and Tidal Gradients. Smithsonian Contributions to the
Marine Sciences 38:347-358. PDF
- Piou, C., U. Berger, and V. Grimm. 2009. Proposing an
information criterion for individual-based models developed in a
pattern-oriented modelling framework. Ecological Modelling
- Piou, C., U. Berger, and I. Feller. 2009. Spatial structure
of a leaf-removing crab population in a mangrove of North-Brazil.
Wetlands Ecology and Management 17:93-106. DOI
- Piou, C., U. Berger, H. Hildenbrandt, and I. Feller. 2008.
Testing the intermediate disturbance hypothesis in species-poor systems:
A simulation experiment for mangrove forests. Journal of Vegetation
Science 19:417-424. DOI
- Berger, U., V. Rivera-Monroy, T. Doyle, F. Dahdouh-Guebas, N. Duke, M. Fontalvo-Herazo, H. Hildenbrandt, N. Koedam, U. Mehlig, C. Piou
and R. Twilley. 2008. Advances and limitations of individual-based
models to analyze and predict dynamics of mangrove forests: A review.
Aquatic Botany 89:260-274. DOI
- Berger, U., C. Piou, K. Schiffers, and V. Grimm. 2008.
Competition among plants: Concepts, individual-based modelling
approaches, and a proposal for a future research strategy. Perspectives
in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 9:121-135. DOI
- Piou, C., U. Berger, H. Hildenbrandt, V. Grimm, K. Diele,
and C. D'Lima. 2007. Simulating cryptic movements of a mangrove crab:
Recovery phenomena after small scale fishery. Ecological Modelling
- Piou, C., I. Feller, U. Berger, and F. Chi. 2006. Zonation
patterns of Belizean offshore mangrove forests 41 years after a
catastrophic hurricane. Biotropica 38:365-374. DOI
- Grimm, V., U. Berger, F. Bastiansen, S. Eliassen, V. Ginot, J.
Giske, J. Goss-Custard, T. Grand, S. Heinz, G. Huse, A. Huth, J. U.
Jepsen, C. Jorgensen, W. M. Mooij, B. Mueller, G. Pe'er, C. Piou,
S. F. Railsback, A. M. Robbins, M. M. Robbins, E. Rossmanith, N. Rüger,
E. Strand, S. Souissi, R. A. Stillman, R. Vabo, U. Visser, and D. L.
DeAngelis. 2006. A standard protocol for describing individual-based and
agent-based models. Ecological Modelling 198:115-126. DOI
Do not hesitate to email me if you need a pdf of one of these articles and your institution do not provide access to it.
© Cette page est publiée sous la responsabilité exclusive de Cyril Piou
La responsabilité du Cirad ne peut en aucun cas être engagée.
Page affichée 19029 fois. Dernière visite le 2014-10-30 16:09:09
Dernière modification de cette page le 2013-12-04 15:42:42